Part 1: Identify the frustration and restate it from a systems perspective
As you begin your pivot from a traditional, insurance-based medical practice to a hybrid cash/insurance medical practice, you want to focus on achieving two particular milestones before introducing cash services:
- Milestone 1: Grasping the VISION to become a hybrid insurance/cash practice
- Milestone 2: Maximize revenues as a traditional insurance provider
This post is the first in a three-part series, and will focus on the second milestone by taking a systems approach to maximize revenues as a traditional insurance provider.
Why do you experience frustration?:
Frustration: An undesirable pattern of events; negative emotion
In most cases, frustration in my practice has been caused by poorly executed systems – or lack of systems all together.
3 Ways Frustrations are Perceived:
- Self-Directed: I am the cause (misdirected)
- Outward-Directed: Someone or something else is problem (misdirected)
- System Directed: Lack of effective system (ALWAYS true cause)
How to Create Effective Change in your Practice:
Nothing changes in your practice unless we address the systems. There are organizational systems that are either conducive to growth, or impede growth.
- Systems either free our team/leaders or obstruct them
- In order to maximize revenues for Milestone 2, we must approach from a systems perspective.
Step 1: Identify the frustration and restate the frustration or problem:
State the Frustration clearly and simply;
- Progress reports are not getting done
- The “boys” are the cause of the problem (outward directed)
- Progress Reports are not clear and we lack proper training or accountability. (System Directed)
Assignment: Take one frustration in your practice and restate that frustration from a systems perspective.
Next week: Part 2: I will teach you how to Create a Proposed Systems Solution.
In Case You Missed It:
Grateful to be on this journey with you,
Dr. Matthew Harkness