It is a brand-new year!  In the future, 2020 will be remembered by me as perhaps my most pivotal year – the year that I reset my trajectory to complement my personal mission – which is to unleash the potential in others while transforming lives. 

2021 is my 20th year as a practitioner.  I am at the half-way mark in my career, making 2020 my “Halftime.”  The first half was a lot of hard work, and I often felt like I was receiving a small return when compared to all the effort I was putting in. I felt like I had to do it all. I often felt alone. I felt like I was up against insurmountable odds. 

Many times during the first half, I questioned myself, and my leadership. I just couldn’t find the “holy grail” formula for operating a successful practice. I constantly felt burdened, lacking in fulfillment.  I often though I just couldn’t do it.   

As I kick off 2021, I am more excited, energized, and clear on where I am going and how I am going to get there. 

What has changed, you ask? My mindset. 

How my mindset and actions changed in 2020:


Old Mindset 2020

New Mindset 2021

I will be fulfilled when I reach my destination.

I have embraced the  “journey.” I am being fulfilled each day right now!

Create the perfect system.

Progress over perfection.

Be safe, calculate the cost, keep big ideas, dreams to myself. Be bold, step out, verbalize, act on the seemingly impossible.
My value comes from seeing patients and billing procedures. 

My value comes from creating and communicating constantly a clear and compelling vision.

Profit will hopefully one day come.

Profit comes today.

Defense, cost cutting is the way to profit.

Growth minded and offense is the way to profit.

It is lonely at the top; no one out there understands.

Being alone is a choice. Fulfillment of our vision multiplied by 20 by inspiring, affirming, and giving my team an owner’s mindset and financial incentives.

Don’t implement a new specialty or service without being sure it will be successful and profitable.

Do an experiment;  30, 60, or 90 days. New endeavors are wet cement.

I want to do it because I know exactly what I want.


I make 80% of decisions for my company.

I make 20% of decisions for my company by empowering my team to make the other 80%.

Money is the most valuable asset. Time is the most valuable asset.

I need to be the expert. I do it myself. Communication, Coaching, Training, Meetings are expensive and take too much time. We need to reduce them.

Let others be the expert and represent you. Communication and training need to be constant, intentional, clear and repeated over and over and over and over.  This can be accomplished in small blocks of time: 10 minutes at a time.

I can’t spend money to be in a business coaching program

I can’t afford not to be in a business coaching program.

I am always thinking, reading and talking about my business at work and at home.

Be fully present at home with my wife, my kids, and my friends. Be in the moment….let it GO!

It is true that the battle rages between your two ears – in your mind.  What is stopping you from growing and being fulfilled?  Your mind and your thinking are the hurdles you need to overcome.  I truly believe release over control is the way to reach your highest potential and be fulfilled right here and right now!

Grateful to be on this journey with you,

Dr. Matthew Harkness

Share This